Tuesday, January 7, 2014

The PaperDoll Shop is OPEN!

It's back to reality for me today.  The shop is open and it's time for me to get back to work.

I am striving to find a work/mom balance this year and already on my first day back to reality, I am failing miserably.  I spent pretty much the entire break sick.  I had the stomach flu followed by Flu A and I just can't really sugar coat it.  This was just about the worst break ever.  I didn't do any of my usual organizing.  I usually sit down with school calendars and planners and get crazy organized and send the kids back on the first day feeling like a super mom.  None of that happened.  I barely even opened my planner and today we forgot that Tuesdays are swim day for my youngest so he went without his swim gear. I didn't even realize it until I noticed I had a message on my phone.  The poor baby left me a "Mommy, please bring my stuff" message but I didn't get it in time.  I'm feeling rotten and am determined to sit down right now and plan our life away.

Part of this balance thing means I need to make PaperDoll run like a well oiled machine.  So I'm making some changes.  I'm re-evaluating some products that are super time consuming and tend to cause problems.  I'm discontinuing some items, I'm looking for new ways to make others.  I'll be adding some items too but I'm going to be a lot more picky about what I make from now on.  (I know many of you have asked about blankets...I am currently searching for a new company to make my blankets...I am hopeful that they will return in 2014.)

The toughest decision I've had to make is about money.  I really hate dealing with the financial side of business.  I want to deal with the cute, pretty stuff and let someone else deal with the taxes, the invoices, the books!  Unfortunately, it doesn't work that way when you own your own business so I've had to get tough and make some decisions.  I've really struggled this year with getting people to pay me.  I know that may seem crazy to many of you, but it's true.  I've had quite a few people order items and then never come pick them up.  I've had lots of people order items and then wait 2 and 3 months to come pick them up and pay for them.  I know it might not seem like that big of a deal but when you have 20+ people not picking up orders, it can add up fast.  I spend a lot of time emailing reminders and trying to get in touch with people about settling invoices so I have decided to put an end to that.  From now on, I will not offer PAY AT PICK UP.  I'm so very sorry to those of you that are loyal customers that ALWAYS come to pay and pick up.  I hate to change things for those of you that are playing nice but I think it just has to be done.  I hope you understand.

I'm off to write down "swimming" on every Tuesday in my planner.  Have a great day!!


 © 2013 paperdoll designs Please don't be shy!! I'd love to hear your comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment

How lovely of you to comment! Your comment might not show up right away but I'd love to hear from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...